We all know that it is easy to spend a lot of money on a plethora of immune boosting aids like essential oils, supplements, vitamins, etc. While many of these products have their place in helping us maintain a healthy lifestyle, what it really comes down to is our ability to supply our body with proper nutrients to maintain health in the face of illnesses and disease. It is when we fall short of what our bodies need to thrive optimally that we become susceptible.
The most effective ways to enhance your immunity are extremely simple, despite what some may want you to believe. Thankfully, they are all easily accessible with dedication and a desire to be well.
1. Water: Water is one of the best medicines out there. Water oxygenates your blood, flushes out toxins, and enhances your lymphatic system, all of which aids in boosting your immunity along with many other benefits (including anti-aging).
The rule of thumb is to drink between half an ounce to an ounce of water per pound of your body weight. Make it easy on yourself and have water readily available to you by either carrying around a water bottle and placing a water station with a quality water dispenser in an easily accessible area in your house. Know that not all water is the same. Maybe consider spending a little more money on Reverse Osmosis water and add in trace mineral drops to make sure your water is pure and free of fluoride and toxins yet still has those precious minerals. Also consider adding about a tablespoon of fresh organic lemon juice to your portion water to amplify the detoxification.
You can also eat your water via foods that have a high water content like most fruits and vegetables.
2. Stay Alkaline: People tend to complicate an alkaline diet because, for the most part, it’s just eating and drinking what is good for you. Ditch sugar, cow’s milk, alcohol, and anything processed. Eat the foods that you know are healthy… leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts. Within the realm of these healthy foods, some are more alkaline than others, of course, but if you stay away from sugars completely (replacing your sweetener with honey, agave, etc.), cow’s milk (using a milk alternative), alcohol, or anything that is processed with chemicals, then you will have a highly alkaline diet. You are, in essence, eliminating the environment for toxins and illnesses to thrive.
3. Sleep: Much research has been done on the direct link between sleep and immunity. Simply stated, when we are deprived of sleep our bodies don’t function optimally making us more susceptible to illness. Run down bodies aren’t armed with the energy to dedicate to fighting.
The Dalai Lama claims that his mental and physical health can be directly attributed to his sleep pattern. He stresses the importance of rising and retiring with the sun - the natural cycle of the day. While this isn’t feasible in our busy society, we can adapt this to fit more into our modern schedules. Try to shoot for 8 hours, always. Listen to your body; it will tell you if it needs more or less.
4. Sun: Fresh air and vitamin D are key in boosting your immunity. Also just moving your body helps blood flow, energy flow, and digestion which also greatly impacts immunity. A great excuse to get outside and take a small walk at least once a day.
5. Stress less and be happy: When you stress, your body releases hormones with immune-suppressing effects. People with chronic stress are opening themselves up to a myriad of health problems far worse than the common cold. Happy people just get sick less.
Let us help you super charge your immunity by keeping you alkaline with our nutrient-rich and oxygen-full drinks and food! We can even help you sleep in a bit longer with our online ordering app, simplifying your mornings and possibly giving you a reason to walk through beautiful downtown to come pick it up!